Wednesday, August 27, 2008

August Results & Break Time

Alright, well I've decided that its time for me to take a nice week off from playing poker (for the most part anyways). I will still be playing in the CardsChat HU Championship and I may play some S&Gs/Tourneys just for fun. I will also still be studying poker during the break period by watching stox videos as I don't want to lose my edge over the week. I played over 50k hands in August so far and over 60k (I think) in July and its just time for me to relax for a week and not think about poker. To be honest I'm starting to feel a little burned out lately and I think its causing me to make some stupid plays. For example I used to just stay away from certain 50NL regs since I knew they were good and there's no point playing hands against other good players when there are plenty of fish to feast on at the table. Lately however, I don't know out of boredom or just because of ego I feel like I have to enter every pot with position on one of these regs and play back at them, usually with poor results. I want to try to prove I'm better than them or something. I don't really have a logical explanation for it, but yea, its stupid. I've also been kind of stressed out lately feeling like I have to be playing constantly (to try to make platinum) or some other stupid reason. And since I've been playing so much, the way I'm running at the poker table is affecting how I act in other aspects of life which is not good at all.

So after all of these things I just wrote about in the previous paragraph, I just decided that a break was in order and there's no better time for it than now. I'm going back to school next week and I don't want to be cooped up in my room playing poker for hours and hours a day when there is so much more interesting things to be doing around campus. I absolutely cannot wait to get back. I've been waiting ever since summer started to get back to school, lol. I'm going to be a senior this year and although I know I will have lots of fun like I always do at school, I really need to get my shit together and figure out what the hell I want to do when I get out of school. I think poker is definitely going to be an option, but is it the best option? I will be graduating with a Bachelors degree in Biology with minors in Chemistry and Economics. I was planning on being a pharmacist when I was in High School but I really don't want to do that anymore and tbh, have no idea what I want to do. Hopefully I will figure out something I like to do this year.

Ok, so here's what all you readers have been waiting for, my official results for August. August was a great month. My best month so far (Actually every month since March has been my best month compared to previous months). Started out a little rocky and ended a little rocky but the upswing in the middle was just crazy. Hopefully this month has taught me a little bit about variance and I will be able to keep myself controlled at all times at the poker table. The graph below is all the cash game hands I played in August including 25NL/PL, 50NL/PL, 100NL/PL with mixes between FR and 6max. Along with the winnings from ring games on the graph below, I won three 5400 FPP satellites which I took cash of $208.15 each and I cleared a $240 deposit bonus for bonus winnings of $864.45. I probably lost ~$40 playing tournaments so that puts my total profits for the month at ~$2814 which is just absolutely amazing and I couldn't be happier. Considering I made $8.50/hour at my part time job this summer those numbers are astonishing.

Anyways, even though I will be on a break for the next week or so I will still be active around CC and reading some other members blogs, so don't think just because I'm taking a break you won't see me around for awhile.

4 comments:

Jay said...

BW - That is totally amazing month m8. Really impressive!

Don't neglect your studies ok, poker will be there when you finish. Believe me when I say that (it's something I think strongly about that you can catch up on in my blog tomorrow).

Enjoy your break.

ChuckTs said...

what the fuck. Teach me your 50k hands ways....

Awesome month bw, glad it's turned around from your prev. downswing.

bw07507 said...

lol my "50k hands ways" is basically whats leading me to take a break so not sure u want to learn it.

Icemonkey9 said...

Nice month and way to rebound after the crap you were going through at the tables earlier. Everyone needs a break and I can't even imagine what 50,000 hands might feel like.

FYI, my wife graduated with a Bachelor's in Biology, wanted to go to Pharm school but it didn't work out for her. Here in Orange County the biotech and drug industries are big, and she got a job working for a Clinical Research Organization and is now making just as much as she would have if she had become a pharmacist. She gets to do a bit of traveling too. Maybe its something for you to look into.

Anyways great month, gl in the HU Championship.