Monday, August 4, 2008

August is Here

Well, its the last month of summer and I absolutely cannot wait to get back to school again in September. I will be a senior this year and it will be my last year of school :(. I can't believe how fast the last few years of my life have flown by. I almost wish this last year would last forever, but I know the reality is that after this year I will most likely have to join the workforce. Hopefully I can find a job that I enjoy doing and isn't too boring. After having a discussion with zach the other day I have contemplated whether I would be able to play poker temporarily right out of school so I didn't have to look for a job right away. I think that if I could reach 100NL and log ~200k hands there b4 school ends I might consider doing it. I'd have to win a substantial amount of money during the school year to do it though, just so I could have something to fall back on.

Anyways, August started out pretty rough at 25NL FR and 6max, but Ive rebounded quite nicely the last few days. I finished July with ~$2000 profit after bonuses and everything, my best month yet. However, I hit a pretty bad downswing/break even stretch of 35k hands the last half of the month. I think the downswing was causing me to get angry and tilt. I have been reading The Poker Mindset and so far it has been helping my tilt/anger problem quite a bit. I have only really gotten angry once this whole month when it used to be at least a once a day occurance. I really hope that this month I can get rid of my anger/tilt problem above anything else b/c it will just make me so much a better player. Also, if I plan on playing for a living for a year after school theres no way that I could tilt ever. If I was still tilting or getting angry it just wouldn't be an option to play for a living. Here's the graph for August so far. As you can see I'm still 4 buy-ins below expected, but it will turn around eventually.

4 comments:

WVHillbilly said...

How do you always seem to run so bad?
Seems like your always under EV. Oh well, I guess when it turns around your win rate will go through the roof.

bw07507 said...

probably cuz i dont post and complain when I'm running above EV :)

SavagePenguin said...

"August is Here... I absolutely cannot wait to get back to school again in July."

When does your school start?

bw07507 said...

whoops, typo :) School starts in September.