Monday, August 18, 2008

5,016 Hands, $924.70

So, I'm still running like a god at 50NL and my upswing continues. Since my last post I've made over $900 which is pretty crazy. I've been playing 50PL along with 50NL with good results. I used to table select for only NL, but I've noticed that PL has some extremely juicy tables and theres no reason to sit at a NL table that isn't as juicy if there is a better PL one availabe. Basically the only difference is that I can't 3bet as high as I would like preflop, but other than that postflop is very similar to NL. I sort tables by % of players to the flop and there always seems to be quite a few PL tables in the mix. I've accumulated ~5800 VPPs this month so I'm a little behind where I want to be to make Platinum. I'm going to really have to grind some hands out over the next couple weeks to make it. I won't be working to much so I definately am expecting to reach my goal.

I ordered The Poker Mindset by Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger a couple weeks ago with FPPs and I am about halfway finished. I cannot recommend this book enough. It is basically all about the emotional aspect of playing poker and how to control your emotions/deal with tilt. I thought it would be pretty basic stuff that I already knew, but it has really been more than I expected. I have learned a lot of new things that I hope can keep my tilt/anger problem in check the next time I hit a downswing. Obviously I've been fine during my upswing, but I really am hoping that during my next long downswing I can control myself.

Anyways, here's what you've all been waiting for, the graph of my last 5k hands

3 comments:

Icemonkey9 said...

Glad to see the upswing, and what a gorgeous graph that is eh? Nice job, keep it up, and you're not the first to recommend that book to me, I guess I'll have to pick it up.

Stick said...

Yes sir! "The Poker Mindset" is the best book I've ever read. It really helped me with my tilt and I'm sure it will help you, too. Check out my review:

http://stickspoker.blogspot.com/2008/04/book-review-poker-mindset-by-ian-taylor.html

I also mentioned your latest upswing in my recent blog post:

http://stickspoker.blogspot.com/2008/08/sticks-update-50nl-multi-tabling-mikogo.html

So keep it up, young man!!

Jay said...

Nice 1 BW. Upswings are goot imo!