Sunday, November 16, 2008

Halftime Report

Alright, I've been seriously neglecting this blog lately, but what can I say, I've been busy with schoolwork/playing poker lately. I've really had no time to hop on here and post updates. I also can never think of anything to write on here, so I just don't post. A couple things happened earlier this month that really put my life into perspective and made me kind of stop worrying about poker so much. I think I finally realized that poker is just a game, and losing a few hundred dollars here and there is absolutely no big deal. I've won so much in the past that I can't complain about anything that has to do with poker, ever. Even if I lose my entire BR tomorrow, I will have still cashed out well over $10,000 from what is essentially a fun hobby for me. I still do enjoy playing. After everything that has happened to me in real life this month, I actually feel like a total fool for ever complaining about being -EV, running badly, taking a bad beat, etc.

All that being said, I have played a lot of poker this month. I think part of it was that I needed to take my mind off of everything going on and poker was one thing that I could do which would take my entire concentration. I try not to think about anything other than playing well when I am playing a session and although I get distracted sometimes, I usually stay totally focused. Alright, now for the part you've been waiting for: how I've been doing this month.

The month started out extremely rocky. Took a shot at 200NL, ran absolutely terrible and decided to move back down to 100NL. I started playing 100NL FR again and just found myself bored as hell for some reason. I couldn't just sit there and play a TAG game on all my tables. I started trying to make plays at every pot, calling regs just to try to outplay them postflop and generally just spewing chips. After spewing for a little while I decided to get my shit together and start playing good poker again. I knew I was bored with FR so I started to play 6max again. 6max has gone pretty well even though I've still run pretty terrible. At least I'm not totally bored with it and I feel I am playing optimally. I also started playing some HU again (with great success). A lot of my profit this month has been from 100NL HU. The play at 100NL HU is just so utterly bad that I keep considering switching full time. Problem is that VPP/FPPs suck at HU and I am going to try to get Supernova next month. I've got ~28,000 VPPs to go for Supernova and I think I will 20-table 100NL FR til i get SN next month. I will be on Christmas vacation for a lot of the month, so it will definitely be doable.

Here's the graph for the month so far. I'm ~$2000 below all in EV. It sucks, but I am not whining about it. I know that its going to happen at times and it will eventually even out in the long run. Just kind of sucks knowing that I should be up a lot more this month, but whatever, I have still won a good amount. Like I said, there are more important things to be worrying about in life than poker EV. I've been pretty happy with my play (only a couple small tilty sessions mostly due to boredom) and my volume of hands. Hopefully I can get another 20k hands in by the end of the month. I've also placed in two 5400 sattys for $214 each, so all in all I guess its a pretty good month so far.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice "work" this month.. If you have some time, I'd like to discuss a couple ideas with you.. contact me at thepokerdoctor@cerebralpoker.com

Thanks,
T.J.